Monday, January 15, 2018

Some really nasty before's.. Pre-Shiplap Craze

Hey all!  I thought I would share my post about installing Shiplap in my kitchen, and hallway and ....
Let me just tell you with this being my first DIY major project, it is not for the faint of heart.  But don't let me discourage you from shiplapping, because it is crazy beautiful but maybe start with a smaller area/room.  Once its up and the prettiness is admired daily, I can't stop wanting to shiplap my whole house..  I think my husband would kill me, not to mention my trusty DIY partner-Hey Dad!!  I think my dad is still having flashbacks.. Is it possible to have too much Shiplap?  I think NOT!

In order to appreciate the after pictures, you need to see and understand the before.. I admit I am not the best before picture taker.  It stems from that our house was built as a "starter home"- 18 years ago!!  Our house was built by my Dad (love ya), my uncle and his brothers, my husband even helped and any other person who drove past our house, picked up hammers, nail guns etc.  It was a labor of love, made very quickly and cheaply.  We were supposed to stay a few years, then sell it for a profit and move into our forever home.  That being said, the finishes, cabinets, flooring etc. were not what I would have picked out but it worked for us when we were first married.  We are slowly changing our house to our taste and style because we are not moving.. We love the lot, backyard and now love all the changes we are making..   Let me warn you the following pictures are cringe worthy.  You can only appreciate a good after by wading through some good before's!
Country decor at its finest.  Hard to tell but the wallpaper under the chair rail is red checked plaid.
Don't you just love the 80's honey/orange colored oak?

Close up of the Red Walls, Birdhouse Wallpaper Boarder and Plaid Curtains. 

 I can't believe I actually picked the colors and decor out so many years ago.  What was I thinking?  I was newly married and had no idea what my style was.  I blame it on the fact that there was no Pinterest back then, and no amazing home decor blogs.
 Its better with the birdhouses gone, don't you think?  We ended up priming the entire walls because we were afraid that the red wall color would show through between the wood planks.  
All the wallpaper is removed, walls primed, a little hint of the new wall color.
 Of course you can't just do the shiplap, but you also need to change out the honey/orange colored wood trim in the entire 1st floor, because you have the paint, wood and man-power.  It is killing my Oak Loving Dad, but trust me, the new woodwork will be AH-Mazing..    Stay tuned my Friends..  Love YO Guts, Lori
My Cute little dad/DIY Dream Maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You Joanna Gaines for bringing us Beautiful Shiplap!!

And now for the afters.. Shiplap everywhere..  Well maybe not everywhere, but on the majority of the first floor.  If it was up to me, I wou...